Monday 11 July 2011

Sculpting a bulkier villain

Having exported my low-resolution base mesh into Mudbox, I quickly added more sub-divisions and began sculpting.




Already, the character is taking up a much more shapely and charismatic form. One which so far looks much more befitting of a villain.



My first time using Mudbox, I really enjoy the attention to detail that I'm able to achieve almost effortlessly, such as crevices in certain muscle areas such as the lower leg.

Considering what I touched upon regarding attributes of villains, such as rough, gravelly voices, imposing physiques, and spiky/sharp corners, I thought I would make a few touches of my own. Of course, I followed suit and applied the theory to the eyes, as shown below. But I wanted to exasperate the feeling that this is character is a piece of foliage from the wild, so I thought to make use of the stamp tools within Mudbox and add some nice scale-like detail, which is true to the villainous form.



Inspiration for this idea came from the enemies from the video game Gears of War. I always admired the modelling techniques used to create them. I was aware that Epic Games used Zbrush exclusively when modelling for that game, and always thought it was a difficult task to do, but it's actually surprisingly easy.

Here are some shots of the said characters:



No comments:

Post a Comment