Thursday 14 July 2011

Evaluation

I created my character from the ground-up, but forewent creating storyboards or line test as this is not the usual means by which I go about creating digital art. I did, however, as advised, research examples of existing pieces of motion graphics.

It was tempting to go down the typical path of deconstructing and analysing Pixar movies, but I thought I would take a different, rawer approach and look at often overlooked areas of motion graphics such as opening title sequences and commercials.

As demonstrated throughout this blog, I created certain aspects of my character in conjunction with new software (Mudbox) that I was trying to learn. While I am content now that I can use Mudbox effectively, I felt that this approach was somewhat restricting to the final look of my character. I was using certain tools just for the sake of using them -- such as the scales or stamps on the back of the toadstool. This would be a feature more attributed to a video game villain. Perhaps lighting and a properly textured and shaded scene would have aided the look of the character, but overall, it didn't fit in with the theme of the cartoon and he audience it was intended for.

I'm not against the idea of having stamps or scales. It was the way they looked. A bit too real and possibly too scary for children.

The recent Fanta adverts demonstrate the point I'm making:




I like the CG direction very much. It has a colourful summer theme which all can appreciate, whether children or students, or middle-aged, and takes into account what makes a character interesting. For example, the characters in this commercial demonstrate the "exaggeration" principle of animation, with heads almost as big as bodies. And another reason why I like this, and it's a personal one, is because it looks as though it was predominantly made using packages similar to Maya or Max, which is how I like to work. It is quite irritating to have to migrate between software routinely.

Another point I wanted to make was the use of shapes. I tried to use some of the attributes that were so common in Disney villains, such as sharp corners and disfigured bodies, while utilising some of the theories that apply the protagonists, such as round shapes and curves. Hence why I opted for a perfectly round toadstool cap instead of the deformed one show in an earlier blog entry, and for sharp, menacing eyes.

This Fanta advert does that well. Round heads and rounded corners on the desks. It is a very friendly advert.

When going about my creations in 3d, I often have the goal of learning something new, as well as improving my skills. The next step to hone, after this, is to consider who I'm making my work for. Everything that I have learnt up to this point will enable me to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment