Monday 11 July 2011

Preperation for rigging

The sculpting is done, as are the textures, and facial animations. I am happy that I am now comfortable working between Maya, Mudbox, and Photoshop, and am familiar with the integration workflow. Now comes the rigging process, which is one of my favourite things to do, despite my reluctance to work in character creation. I enjoy the problem-solving element and overcoming challenges. I have yet to come across a rig where I didn't meet some sort of anomaly which required the use of my brain.

I am interested to see how this character turns out. Naturally, the limbs are expected to move, but what about the neck? Even though his neck is quite stocky, I intend for it to move and operate like any other neck.

Furthermore, In order to get the arms to look the way they do, I had to compromise the topology around the shoulder area. I suspect that will cause a little bit of a hiccup during animation, but don't expect a huge problem.

I have never created a character that was to hold something, so I'm interested to see how I will tackle the issue of the character holding the sword. I suspect a series of constraints and parenting will do the trick, but am not sure at the moment.

Other aspects are accounted for, however. The sword fits in the hand nicely, and the fingers match the hand nicely -- the fingers aren't too long and the palm isn't too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment