Sunday 10 July 2011

Direction of my character

Art is a reflection of the artist's personality, or his personality at the time of the creation of the art. One of Francisco Goya's most famous, and darkest, pieces, Yard with Lunatics, was created while he was going through a mental breakdown himself.  



The man who designed the lead antagonist of Mulan, Pres Romanillos, once quoted:

"The challenge in animating him was to convey his weight and gravity: He's like a force of impending doom. Unconsciously, I would scowl all day while I was drawing him. When I worked on Pocahontas, I would go home feeling sexy; with Shan-Yu, my wife was always asking, 'Why are you so angry?"




All forms of art, and especially successful art, are a visceral representation of the meditations of the creator. That is why I have opted to create the lead antagonist of this series. I can produce a more accurate and understandable character in this way, as I, the creator, can understand him. The lead antagonist is often a reflection of the lead protagonist, as a violent man would have a violent rival, and a funny man would have a funny rival. My character will be of terrifying when needs be, but otherwise is short of an incompetent, bumbling villain, similar to Shredder in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- never too proud to retreat or resort to dirty tactics.

No comments:

Post a Comment